Higher Ground Consulting is a growing team of professionals that offer an enjoyable and flexible work environment. We offer an exciting and dynamic work place with opportunities to be exposed to a large variety of work, membership, support, and competitive compensation. Above all else, what we offer is the follow through on the commitments we make to you. We look to work with people that appreciate this and are willing to do the same.
At Higher Ground Consulting, there is room to add the right people to enhance our team. Below are our high need positions that we have identified and are actively looking to fill; however, if you are a motivated professional with the right experience we would like to hear from you.
If you are interested in any of the positions below, please send an email to email@example.com explaining a little about yourself and attach your resume.
Lead Civil Engineer
Higher Ground Consulting is seeking a senior Lead Civil Engineer, the successful applicant will lead the development and execution of civil engineering services for various civil heavy earthworks projects including, containment ponds, dams, landfills, roads, foundations, and miscellaneous infrastructure. The successful applicant will have the initiative and accountability to work independently and with a team in a rewarding and fast paced work environment.
Responsibilities may include the following:
· Civil design and oversight of various structures such as containment ponds, landfills, roads, dams, foundations, and miscellaneous infrastructure.
· Project Management, including project initiation, coordination, and execution
· Direction / supervision of junior and/or field staff
· Reporting and technical writing
· Site inspection and supervision
· Development of standards, guidelines and procedures
· Civil or Water Resource Engineering degree or equivalent
· Minimum 7 years’ experience
· Exposure to large civil earthworks construction projects will be considered an asset
· APEGA Professional Engineer stamp required
· Applicant must be willing to travel and be in the field as required on a project needs basis
· Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills are essential
· Must have a valid driver’s license and be legally entitled to work in Canada
Higher Ground Consulting (HGC) is a civil engineering company that specializes in earth, water and environmental projects. HGC is made up of a dedicated team of professionals trained and experienced in project management, engineering and design. The leadership team has spent most of their entire collective careers working in the Energy industry in Western Canada in a wide variety of roles.
Junior Environmental Planner
Reporting to the HGC Environment and Regulatory Group, currently seeking a Junior Environmental Scientist to join our team of dynamic environmental professional. This position will consist of a mix of field and office based work and will be primarily focused on completion of biophysical field assessments and associated reporting. Field assessments will include but are not limited to the following: pre-disturbance site assessments, wetland assessments, wildlife sweeps/surveys, environmental reporting. This position can be based in Calgary or Lac La Biche area.
- Regulatory support (primarily Alberta and British Columbia)
- Field planning and execution; wetland, vegetation, water, soils, wildlife
- Report writing
- Phase I, II, III ESA’s support
- Maintaining field equipment and inventory, calibrating equipment, ordering rental equipment as required
- Preparation of health, safety and quality management plans as required
- Conducting environmental data analysis, synthesis and presentation
- Minimum 3 years of relevant environmental project experience in Western Canada.
- An understanding of Western Canadian legislation, applications, and processes is an asset.
- An undergraduate degree in biology or earth sciences or a diploma in Natural Resources (or equivalent) is preferred.
- Must possess a Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s license and legally able to work in Canada.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Standard First Aid, H2S Alive, ATV/Argo, WHMIS and TDG Certification considered an asset.
Skills & Knowledge
For this role, we are looking for someone who comes from an environmental background with a minimum 3 years of environmental and/or regulatory experience. The successful applicant will be able to balance the demands of multiple tasks and deliverables while maintaining excellent attention to detail. In addition, the role will require a commitment to seasonal field work, working away from the office for periods of time. You must be capable of working autonomously, process driven, be self-motivated, and success oriented.
Reclamation and Remediation Lead
As the Rec/Rem Lead with Higher Ground Consulting (HGC) you will lead the development and execution of environmental programs to support geoscience and engineering services for various industrial projects. HGC is seeking a senior level Environmental Engineer or Professional Agrologist/Geologist to join our dynamic and growing team. The successful applicant will provide and manage the development and execution of environmental programs, support services for contaminated soil and groundwater assessments, facility decommissioning, remediation, reclamation, and soil classification.
- Project Management, including project initiation, coordination and execution
- Developing business plans to build out long term environmental programs
- Business Development and client interface
- Environmental risk and liability assessments
- Environmental investigations (including Phase I, II and III ESA’s)
- Groundwater monitoring program coordination
- Reporting and technical writing
- Development of standards, guidelines and procedures
- Developing a diverse and motivated workforce through recruiting, training and supervision of professional and subcontractor staff that meets and anticipates customer requirements
- Managing project budgets and schedules
- Review and approval of technical reports, and other documentation, issued to both internal and external customers and regulators
- Leading staff professionals and supervising field sampling, inspection, analysis and technical support
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientist of Alberta Professional Geologist (P.Geol), Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) designation or Professional Agrologist (P.Ag.).
- Minimum of 8-years’ experience in the industry and 3 years of leadership.
- Versed in applicable federal, provincial and municipal regulations in Canada.
- Experience in water resources, contaminated sites and hydrogeological assessments.
- Experience in Phase I, II and III ESAs.
- Applicant must be willing to travel and be in the field as required on a project needs basis.
- Established reputation in the Rec/Rem industry.
- Strong organizational and communication skills is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills are essential.
- Registration as Contaminated Sites Approved Professional (CSAP) in BC would be considered an asset.
Skills & Knowledge
For this role, we are looking for someone who comes from a strong Environmental Consulting background with a minimum 8 years of applicable experience. At HGC, our Rec/Rem Lead is expected to manage a variety of assessments ranging from wellsites to large production facilities, mentor junior staff, and oversee and guide the completion of field work and reporting. The successful candidate will have the initiative and accountability to work independently and with a team in a rewarding, fast paced environment.
Intermediate Soil Scientist
Reporting to the HGC Environment and Regulatory Group, the Intermediate Soil Scientist will be responsible for providing intermediate technical advice and review of soil related matters for our team of Environmental Planners and supporting disciplines. This role will require onsite environmental monitoring of construction including hands-on service to our clients, ensuring high quality project work and approaches are utilized to provide efficient and timely solutions for a variety of projects. This role will support the development of our Soils discipline. Could be based in Calgary or Lac La Biche area.
- Coordinating, directing and conducting soil-discipline related project teams and work; Environmental and Reclamation monitoring for construction sites
- Acting as field crew lead and ensuring Health and Safety protocols are met
- Mentoring and training junior soils staff
- Assist with developing and implementing erosion control plans
- Describe soils according to the Canadian Soil Classification System (to the Soil Series level) for soil surveys
- Sample, map, and analyze soils using accepted protocols under the Canadian Soil Classification System (to the Soil Series level)
- Review and analyze soil samples according to Alberta Tier 1 and 2 remediation criteria and 2010 reclamation criteria
- Data compilation and management
- Interpreting data for various end-uses
- Preparing and reviewing reports, proposals and presentations
- Ensuring QA/QC requirements and procedures are adhered to
- Develop and maintain relationships with existing and new clients
- Work in a team environment with other disciplines and mentor junior staff
- A minimum of a college diploma or undergraduate (B.Sc.) university degree in soil science, agriculture, physical geography, environmental science or relevant discipline. A graduate degree (M.Sc.) in an environmental science related discipline would be an asset.
- Minimum 3 years of conducting soils discipline related work, including experience in soil classification, soil handling and erosion control measures.
- Minimum 2 years of supervision experience with construction and reclamation at upstream and midstream oil and gas facilities. Experience with oilsands developments are an asset.
- Experience with water management, erosion control and reclamation development, mitigation and execution.
- Knowledge of Government of Alberta’s 2010 Reclamation Criteria, Salinity Contamination Assessment and Remediation Guidelines, and Tier 1 & 2 Remediation Guidelines is an asset.
- Experience with vegetation and wetlands would be an asset.
- Experience with ATVs (quads and/or argos) and trailers considered an asset.
- Currently or eligible to be registered as a Registered Technologist in Agrology (RT.Ag.), Professional Agrologist (P.Ag.), or equivalent professional accreditation.
- Strong communication ability, both written and oral with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail, high level of accuracy and a comprehensive understanding of processes.
- Strong knowledge of Alberta Regulatory requirements (Reclamation Criteria, Remediation Guidelines, Soil Monitoring Directive, CCME guidelines).
- Knowledge of British Columbia and Saskatchewan Regulatory requirements (Reclamation Criteria, Remediation Guidelines, Soil Monitoring Directive, CCME guidelines) an asset.
- Technical knowledge of soil classification (Canadian System of Soil Classification).
- Knowledge of soil mapping and soil distribution in various landforms.
- Understanding of environmental issues affecting soils in agricultural and forest settings.
- Strong knowledge of geospatial informational systems (GIS).
- Strong data analysis and technical reporting skills.
Skills & Knowledge
For this role, we are looking for someone who comes from a strong Environmental Consulting background with a minimum 3 years of soils and construction monitoring experience. The successful applicant will be able to balance the demands of multiple tasks and deliverables while maintaining excellent attention to detail. In addition, the role will require a commitment to seasonal field work, working away from Calgary for periods of time; prefer if the candidate lives north. You must be capable of working autonomously, process driven, be self-motivated, and success oriented.
Junior Civil Engineer
As a Junior Civil Engineer, the successful applicant will support civil engineering delivery throughout the lifecycle of projects from initiation to design to construction. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to work in a fast paced environment, working on various projects while receiving lots of training and mentoring from experienced personnel.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Project initiation
- Engineering design support
- Project coordination
- Procurement support
- Report preparation and writing
- Development of specifications
- Composition of construction work packages
- Field inspection and QA/QC
- Civil Engineering degree
- Eligibility to register as an Engineer in Training (EIT) in Alberta
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
If you are interested in any of the positions above, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining a little about yourself and attach your resume.