Higher Ground Consulting (HGC) is seeking a vegetation and/or wetland ecologist to support the ongoing development and execution of HGC’s environmental programs in Western Canada. The successful applicant will lead and provide support to field programs in the oil and gas and renewable energy sectors, with a general focus on the boreal forest. Do you have the initiative and accountability to work independently with our team in a rewarding, fast-paced environment? If so, we could use your help servicing our existing contracts with industry, Indigenous communities, government and the Oil Sands Monitoring Group.
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Project management, including project initiation, coordination and execution
- Assisting in business development
- Mentoring and managing Junior Environmental Scientists
- Participation in leading and supporting wetland & vegetation monitoring programs
- Participation in leading and supporting surface and shallow groundwater monitoring
- Reporting and technical writing
- Management and analysis of data
- Mapping and figure development
- Development of standards, guidelines and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology or Environmental Science
- Qualified Wetland Science Practitioner (QWSP) designation or the necessary qualifications to immediately apply
- Professional designation (P.Biol. or similar) or the necessary qualifications to immediately apply
- GIS and database experience
- Applicant must be willing to travel and be in the field as required on a project needs basis
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills are essential
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be legally entitled to work in Canada
THE FOLLOWING WILL BE CONSIDERED AN ASSET
- A Graduate Degree in Biology or Environmental Science
- Experience with R-script
- Boating and/or Argo experience
This position is in our downtown Calgary office, located steps from the Bow River pathway.
HGC is made up of a dedicated team of professionals trained and experienced in project management, environment, engineering, and design. We are committed to providing practical solutions to our clients, to have them move their projects forward productively for the benefit of our communities. If you share our values and would like to help make tomorrow better than today, join our team and see where your career can take you.
HGC offers competitive compensation including benefits. We welcome all qualified applicants to apply and we are committed to a safe and respectful workplace. It is our aim to have a workplace which is inclusive and values safety, diversity, personal integrity, respect for individual differences, and encourages ownership and accountability for our actions.
Interested candidates are asked to email a current cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.